Did you know that ATM card fraud in the U.S. is estimated to cost over $1 billion? New viruses, zero-day malware, targeted attacks, persistent threats and other forms of malicious software are attacking the ATM channel every day, constantly searching for vulnerabilities in various networks. In addition to an increase in viruses and malware tainting the ATM channel, cybercriminals are growing in confidence and finding new ways to execute fraud. When it comes to your ATM and self-service channels, are you truly protected from harmful exploits?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Malware is malicious software intended to disrupt and damage a system or network while gathering sensitive information. ATM malware allows criminals to withdraw cash directly from the ATM without compromising the consumer’s debit card.
TYUPKIN (AKA JACKPOTTING)
Tyupkin is a vicious malware that takes control of an ATM’s cash-dispensing function. After the virus has been installed, the ATM is rebooted and automatically spits out cash.
Zero-day attacks are threats that exploit a previously unknown vulnerability in an operating system, one that developers have not had time to address and patch.
HOW CAN YOU STAY PROTECTED?
Blue Ridge Networks’ AppGuard was named “Best Anti-Malware Solution” by the 2014 Homeland Security Awards Program. Using a unique, patented isolation and containment method, AppGuard defends against viruses, zero-day malware, drive-by-downloads, watering hole attacks, ransomware, phishing and many other forms of threats. While most traditional antivirus, whitelisting and sandboxing approaches need to identify the threat, scan for viruses, update their software and disrupt activities in order to provide protection, AppGuard extends its defense without disrupting the computing and network environments. In addition to being compatible with most antivirus software, AppGuard is easy to install, easy to use and affordable. As an emerging standard for isolation and containment protection against zero-day malware, targeted attacks and persistent threats, AppGuard offers the best security in the marketplace.
AppGuard mitigates key security risks that have plagued ATM systems over the years.
- Problem: ATM software, system patches, and software upgrades rely on maintenance personnel running batch files directly from USB memory sticks.
- Solution: AppGuard prevents anyone from inserting a USB stick and running unauthorized scripts even when the system is in ATM mode. For ATM maintenance and patching, AppGuard establishes and enforces an orderly process, which includes a security audit.
- Problem: Today’s ATM is a fully functioning computer with similar risks of any other desktop computer accessed by administrators or users.
- Solution: Like any user on the computer, ATM operators could unknowingly risk the underlying ATM system when accessing it. AppGuard delivers the same level of unmatched protection offered to enterprises and consumers for the same type of risks posed by ATM operators, by preventing malware from entering the system or by halting the malware in its first stages of attack.
- Problem: ATM software is running on a Windows platform and does not have the ongoing operating system and application patches for discovered vulnerabilities.
- Solution: Similar to consumer and enterprise versions of Blue Ridge AppGuard, AppGuard is the perfect risk mitigation and protection for unpatched systems. AppGuard is designed for “forward security” and maintains that “every day is a zero-day”, which can be the case for unpatched or waiting to be patched systems.